You’ve probably heard about SEO positioning and have tried to sell it hundreds of times in some way. If this is the case, this post is made for you, so you’re no longer in the dark and know what SEO is all about.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation. The acronym may not tell you much, but SEO is a set of techniques aimed at increasing the organic visibility of a web page through certain search criteria. Basically, the goal of SEO is that when someone searches for something related to our business in Google or other search engines, we appear ahead of our competition. Easy, right?
We say that SEO is about an organic positioning, that is, one that does not require a direct payment, such as sponsored results (SEM) campaigns, for example. This means that we have to meet certain guidelines that make us worthy of those top positions in the search engines. No one knows for sure all the factors that influence the rankings of the search engines, but it is useful and important to take into account some basic points:
- Keywords: You must try to make clients find you through words that don’t necessarily interest you. For example, if you have a hairdresser in the centre of Madrid, your keywords will probably be “hairdresser, centre, Madrid” or “hairdresser, modern, centre, Madrid” or “hairdresser, barber, centre, Madrid” but they will not be “hairbrushing, lifestyle, madrid”. No, your prospective clients will not – for the most part – be looking at these words on the Internet. So, once you have defined the words for which you want to have visibility, it is time to create content for your website, making sure it’s always under the umbrella of the chosen keywords.
- Content is King. You will have heard this expression countless times, but it continues to be true to this day. In short, what differentiates a good website from a website is its content. Internet users are looking for more and more multimedia content: text, images and, above all, videos (link to the post about online video). The content, just like the keywords, must support any digital strategy and online positioning. Feed your web content that may be interesting. If you have a page, it will serve for something. The more information you have on a topic, the more likely it is that internet surfers will end up on your site.
- Technical Factors. Let’s not fool ourselves; SEO requires minimum technical programming knowledge or familiarity with the operation of crawlers or indexing robots used by different search engines. Meta tags, sitemaps, PHP functions … are the day to day SEO experts. The best thing is to entrust the technical section to SEO specialists (link to the section of SEO services of the web) that can execute the strategy of positioning optimally.
- Links: On the Internet you are not alone. In fact, one of the success factors of a website is the quantity and especially the quality of all those links, references and connections that you can build with third parties around your brand and its products or services. The more mentioned and connected you are in the network, the more relevant you will be to your users and search engines. But wait! No need to get links at any price. You only need those that are natural, gained by good content, that guarantee a good reputation online and that are also related to your sector of activity and the keywords for which you want to be visible to your users. It is also interesting to have internal links. It is extra helpful for positioning to have links from your posts that lead you to other places on your website or external links that take you to other websites of interest.
- Perseverance and Maintenance: Another key issue is time. A positioning strategy ensures success when sustained over the long term. There are no easy recipes or shortcuts, just work and consistency. SEO is not a sprint but a marathon for only the most enduring.
Now that you have an overview of what SEO is and what needs to be done to achieve it, it’s time to get down to work and start plotting and defining your strategy. Or better yet, leave it in the hands of professional experts who accompany you in your business’ great digital adventure and help you to position yourself in the most optimal way.